Junín y Lavalle, Buenos Aires streets where walked the man named “El Choclo” which gives its name to tango, belong to Balvanera neighborhood
We can start its history in 1799, when Fray Damián Pérez, Franciscan, received a land grant in which time later built a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Balvanera. For a long time, this chapel supplied to the spiritual needs of the few local residents On 1 April 1831, Bishop Mariano Medrano y Cabrera undertook to erect the Parish of Our Lady of Balvanera, thereby recognizing the importance of the area was gaining. Five years later the parish had 3635 residents. It is within the current boundaries of the neighborhood the traditional Miserere Square, whose name refers to the nickname he was known Don Antonio Gonzalez Varela, owner of the land during the eighteenth Century. The square was an important stage during the British invasion and thence Don Santiago de Liniers summoned the surrender of General William Carr Beresford.